Coast Province General Hospital was founded in 1908 as the Native Civil Hospital in the Makadara area of Mombasa Island. Then it had 8 wards manned by white and Asian doctors and a multinational staff of nurses and subordinate staff.
With increased utilization, the need for expansion of medical facilities in the town was felt and in 1957, the new group hospital was built on 12 acres of land in the Tononoka area of Mombasa. This new facility was offering only outpatient services. Cases requiring admission continued to be referred to the Native Civil Hospital at Makadara
In the same year, the Mombasa Municipal Council built the Lady Grigg Maternity Hospital adjacent to the New Group Hospital. As its name suggests, this facility was providing maternity services.
In 1958, the New Group Hospital was renamed Coast Province General Hospital and expanded to include an administration block and inpatient wards. Following this development, parts of the Native Civil Hospital were demolished.
In 1971, the Ministry of Health took over the Municipal Council owned Lady Grigg Maternity Hospital and made it a part of Coast Province General Hospital
At about the same time, another adjacent maternity home owned by the Ishmail Rahemtulla trust was donated to Coast General. Today it is an amenity ward.
In 1981, the Government of Kenya commissioned a new wing housing medical and surgical specialty clinics as well as eye, ENT and dental clinics.
The new wing also incorporated the department of physiotherapy, operating theatres with a CSSD section, an ICU, an x-ray department, a casualty with a trauma theatre, a laboratory, a paediatric ward and a mortuary
Between 1998 and 2000, JICA contributed to improvements on the physical structures in the hospital at a cost of Kshs. 800m ($10m).Constructed 3 new departments: maternity (millennium wing), kitchen and laundry Carried out renovations in maternity (old labour ward) and in casualty. Supplied wards with beds, equipped medical and surgical departments.
Constructed new inpatient toilets and showers block. Carried out renovation and expansion of Mortuary with New Refrigeration units and standby power generator. Provided vast amount of sophisticated patient care equipment for surgical theaters, anesthesia, anesthesia recovery, central sterilization (CSSD), casualty services, Intensive Care Unit, patient wards, laboratory, x-ray, ENT unit, eye unit and dental unit.
Today Coast Province General is the second largest public hospital in Kenya after Kenyatta National Hospital with a 700 bed capacity. It presently has 672 beds comprising 546 beds and 126 cots.
The Hospital has the Chief Administrator as the CEO answerable to the Hospital Management Board.
It is a teaching and referral hospital whose service area comprises the 7 districts in Coast Province.
The facility caters for a primary area population of over 700,000 people and a secondary population of about 2 million